“Ouch! That hurts” is the reaction you spill when your tooth aches. Sometimes it goes off in a day or two, and sometime stay long enough to make your reach your dentist. If a tooth has been damaged by decay or broken by an accident, the dentist might try to fix it with a crown, filling or other treatment. But if the damage is deep, then the tooth might warrant an extraction. Tooth extraction is something we all know about when it comes to us is when the wisdom strikes the need to know more. There are a lot of problems that come along with tooth extraction that you ought to be aware of.
The pain that comes with extraction:
Of 3% to 4% of all extractions, a serious problem called Dry socket develops, when a blood clot doesn’t clog up in the hole or it breaks away too soon. In the case of a dry socket, the underlying bone is exposed vulnerably to food and air, causing pain, bad odor or taste. Dry socket holds a probability of 30% occurrence in case of extractions, especially when they are difficult ones. Smokers and pregnant women are easily prone to this. And women taking birth control pills also run the risk. Smokers and women who take birth control pills are more likely to have a dry socket. Immediate treatment is a must to allow the dry socket to heal soon. A healthy immune system shall prevent the incident of dry socket in the first place indeed.
In addition to this, other potential problems include:
- Risk of accidental damage to adjacent teeth teeth, such as fracture of fillings or teeth
- An incomplete extraction, wherein a small part of the tooth/root tip remains after extraction
- Risk of jaw fracture to older patients with Osteoporosis
- In case of an upper molar back tooth being removed, at times it might leave a hole in the sinus that will lead to infection
- A rare yet a huge risk of a long lasting numbness of the lower lip and chin due to the damage of the alveolar valve. The numbness can stay from weeks to months to years, and the worst case is sometimes it can remain permanent too.
The right-care at the right time:
With such risks and complications associated with tooth extraction, by now you understand it is not as simple as it sounds. As in the matter of all health problems, especially when it comes to your dental health, it is important that you take the right steps at the right time to avoid painful consequences. With our team of experienced dentists available round the clock all through the year, Rainbow Dental from Sydney takes pride in providing you the best of the treatment when it comes to tooth extractions. So when the next time when it comes to a painful tooth extraction that you are worried about, rest your concerns and step in for a free advice with Rainbow dental. With the root problem traced, the rest is all a cake-walk fro us to help you through.